The Township, not wishing to lose a significant portion of its tax funding, protested.
The University was found in 1949 to be in delinquency of unpaid real estate taxes.
Two years later he began work on the imposing brick mansion.
Throughout the next forty–seven years Robert Allerton and his adopted son, John Gregg Allerton (1899–1986), transformed their country house, The Farms, into a central Illinois showplace estate, with activity climaxing in the 1920s and early 1930s.
Annually, he invited graduating students in architecture and landscape architecture to The Farms. At the time, taxes on Allerton land accounted for one-fifth of all tax revenue to support public works in the Willow Branch Township.